In one of my first post I talked about the birth of a character. I would like to expand on the characters’ profiles as a way to both brainstorm and round out their personalities and hopefully intrigue you the reader. I realize the balancing act of telling too much about a character. However, I feel I can do it.
The second part of my post about character birth went into a pretty detailed summary of Katnes’ history–at least her growing up and family. Most of my characters in the past when telling their story either show me a picture or speak in first person. Katnes was no different. I write their story how they tell it. Writing in first person is a tough thing to do for many reasons. One because some things I have not actually experienced and because the character is in my head they have technically not experienced it either. Two find the right tense and staying consistent in tense is ten times more of a bitch. Three the tendency to write all “I” sentences. Show don’t tell.
Yet, if the character chooses to tell me their story in first person that is how I write it. Katnes’ story started out as first person. Now I am working with a co-author on a branch story of Katnes which we write through Skype’s IM feature. It is nearly impossible to write in first person with another person especially if the other writer is not writing in first person. So Bear and Hunter Series is done in Third Person Limited my side being Katnes’ POV and my co-author being Ursa’s POV.
I have now become comfortable writing Katnes in this perspective. I have already written several sections about Katnes’ past in first person. When I go back to these writings I waffle between rewriting all of it into Third Person (Limited or Omniscient) or leaving it since it is a stand alone back story. There are times it seems it would be better to rewrite. Then there are times I like the way it flows in First Person. Plus the work it would take to rewrite is a factor–as in my laziness.
Moving past the question of POV my character has slowly been fleshing out outside of the story page.
I am a big time researcher. (Sometimes to the extreme.) Hopefully it is well worth it with for the story.
- 5 foot 8 inches tall
- 140 pounds
- Measurements (inches) 35-28-38
- B Cup
- Straight Shape
- Medium Size Shirt
- Size 8 Pants/Dress Size
- Fair/Medium Skin Tone
- Dark chocolate brown eyes
- Dark chocolate brown hair
- Three piercings in the right ear
- One in cartilage representing Rhianna
- Two in bottom lobe one for her mother one for her father
- Tattoo on left shoulder reads Geschützter–Protected One black Ink
- Oak wood wrapped leaf ring (picture from google search only available in metal)
- Wears on the middle finger of right hand
- Becomes her elemental bow
There is an avatar maker my friends and I use to create pictures of characters for our RPG. This is Katnes:
While it is Anime it works best for our purposes.
List of Favorites
- Book: Of Mice and Men
- Author: John Steinbeck
- Movie: The Maltese Falcon
- Actor: Humphrey Bogart
- Color: Forest Green
- Food: Sauerbratan–German Pot Roast
- Fruit: Apple
- Dessert: Apple Pie or German Apple Cake
- Holiday: Bastille Day (July 14th)
- Favorite Wood for a Bow: Osage Orange
- Animal: Deer
- Flower: Daisy
- Precious Stone: Agate Chalcedony
- Music: German Heavy Metal
- Alcoholic Drink: Jack Daniels and Coke
- Non Alcoholic: Sweet Tea (Southern Style)
- Breakfast Drink: Coffee (Black)
- Metal for Jewelry: Silver
- Birthday: June 21, 1930
- Birthwood: Oak
- Birthstone: Pearl
- She is the oldest sibling–one younger sister
- Hates Sauerkraut
- Does like to get up in the morning unless going out to hunt something
- Learned to Bake from a French Baker
- Languages Known
- English (American)
- Other Baltic Languages such as Ukraine and Romanian
- Has an uncanny sense of direction
- Loves climbing trees
So basics of Katnes Marie Chasseur. Tidbits of story and basics of other characters to come.